Covid-19 took the world by storm. Millions have died as a result of the virus since its inception, and with variants on the rise, more are sure to perish. We all need to take proactive measures to safeguard ourselves, our families, and our loved ones now more than ever. Understanding what we’re up against is the first step toward prevention.
UNDERSTANDING THE VIRUS
Covid-19 is believed to be 50-200 nanometers in diameter, meaning it’s invisible to the naked eye. By comparison, mold spores can be as small as 1 micron to 100 microns in size. That means the virus is over 1,000 smaller than a mold spore which makes air purification that much more difficult.
The Coronavirus is an enveloped virus, which means it has an outer layer of protection. HBV and Influenza are two other enveloped virus examples. The disadvantage of enveloped viruses is that once inside your body, they reproduce very easily. However, they are easier to sterilize than non-enveloped viruses, meaning that sanitation is critical for better protection.
Following the steps below will help you avoid contracting Covid-19 and help stop it from spreading to others if you do catch it.
PROACTIVE PREVENTION STEPS:
1. When traveling to public areas, sanitize your hands immediately after touching any surfaces, like doorknobs and handrails. Hand sanitizer is easiest to use, but washing hands with antibacterial soap under warm water for 20 seconds also works.
2. Remove shoes at the door and sanitize them after going out of the house.
3. Sanitize grocery items as much as possible, especially items like fruits and vegetables.
4. Take off and throw away gloves before touching any of your belongings.
5. Disinfect the inside of your car daily using a CDC N-list approved product.
6. Change and wash your clothing with detergent immediately after getting home.
We also suggest investing in an air purification system to filter out particles, like Covid-19, from the air in your home. Read this article by HomeCleanse President Michael Rubino for our top air purifier picks.
Keep in mind that HEPA and ULPA vacuums cannot trap virus particles. Using CDC N-List registered disinfectants and wiping with a microfiber towel is the best way to clean surfaces.
Microfiber towels are 100 times more effective at trapping particles than other towels.
PREVENTING THE SPREAD OF COVID-19
1. Wear a mask! Yes, the virus particles can pass through the mask itself, but they do help absorb particles contained in water droplets from coughing or talking. With over two hundred million virus particles in water droplets from a single cough, it’s worth wearing to curb the spread of the virus as much as possible.
2. Take your temperature each morning before leaving your home. If you have even a low-grade fever(above 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit), stay home until your temperature drops back down. For optimum safety, quarantining until the fever is gone for five consecutive days is best.
3. If you have any sick symptoms other than a fever, quarantine until you have two consecutive days with no symptoms.
4. If someone in your home has a fever or experienced sickness symptoms, quarantine using the same steps as outlined above.
5. Follow all state regulations regarding quarantining when traveling, even if you don’t feel symptomatic.
6. If you or someone you know contracts Covid-19, disinfect your car, home, and any other areas touched frequently.
If you need your home disinfected by a professional microbiological cleanup company, please visit our Coronavirus Remediation page.
Still Have Questions?
A member of our team is here to help! Click on “Get Started ➤” below to book a consultation with a member of the HOMECLEANSE team. We have a few quick questions that will help us put together a roadmap to solve or prevent all of your mold problems.
Two minutes of your time could lead to better health for you and your family.